Posted in Uncategorized

A&E… again

So, Mr Mediator had his normal Wednesday day off whilst Dr Feline was visiting her brother in Edinburgh. We decided to have a nice day together in Lyme Regis (where Daisy and all Mr Mediator’s family used to live). Storms were forecast and we were pretty excited.

Wow, it was cool when we got there. The waves were awesome (in the true meaning of the word), although not the best we’d ever seen. It was actually safe to go down to the beach.

So, just to explain, you have the cobb (funny name for a pier) in the middle, with the harbour enclosed to the right and a pebbly beach to the left. We started out on the beach, and I very quickly got blown over by the wind – it was a gale, to be fair. Really bruised my coccyx, but I’m trying to not be a complaining person.


The waves weren’t that big.

We then decided to walk along the other side of the cobb, the harbour side. You could see the waves cascading right over further down the cobb. We climbed up some steps just to peep over the (very foolishly as it turned out) at the waves on the other side. I won’t make excuses for our stupidity, but there hadn’t been any big waves that far down until then.

Huge wave. Massive wave, I guess. I don’t remember it except for swallowing an awful to of sea water. Mr Mediator and I were knocked off our feet; Mr Mediator bruised his chest in a minor way, and I hit my head. I have about a ten minute memory gap; the next memory I have is of being in the car and asking Mr Mediator to turn the heating up (we were both wet down to our underwear).

Mr Mediator decided it would be best to phone A&E as I memory loss (even though conscious) and I was very vague. (Apparently, I kept asking, ‘What happened?’ It must’ve got very irritating).

Ambulance arrived and they checked me over there for about an hour and then took me to Exeter for a proper look. I guess I was there for another hour. They considered x-raying my coccyx due to osteoporosis, but decided against it. I wanted them to: I want the medical attention, I want the confirmation and affirmation of being ill, but I do think they were right. Now, at the end of the day, it’s much better. The staff were all fantastic, really fantastic.

This morning and last night were agony. My head, my coccyx, my neck… I couldn’t get comfy. The pain was almost unbearable. But I bore it, because that’s what people do.

After our little spell in A&E we headed back to 2CC. We’d been put off having a day in Lyme, although we’d planned it so nicely.

I ruined it again. We ruined it I suppose, because Mr Mediator was the supposedly ‘responsible’ one. He ended up having to tell Dr Feline over the phone which didn’t go down well; she wanted me to go stay the night in hospital, she wanted to fly back down straight away (the next flight would have got in at about 2am). We persuaded her against all these things; Mr Mediator slept on my floor, and we survived.

The pain has much subsided, and I hate it. I liked the sympathy. I liked the self pitying. I liked the excuse not to do anything at all. But I’m much better now. A hell of a lot better. I mean, it’ll worse in the morning after lying still for so long, but I’m sure it’s okay.

Oh, and it’s New Year. Happy Any Other Day.




Just a 25 year-old-English-gal trying to make her way through life, with all its ups and downs. I don't necessarily publish anything massively personal because I worry about triggering people big time, but if anyone has questions or memes they'd like me to do, then I'm up for it!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s